Monday, January 18, 2010

Unbelievable weekend


As my last post indicated, I was pretty excited to go to Las Vegas, but that was not meant to be. We found out 3 hours before boarding, that our flight was canceled. After spending over an hour on the phone with the airline (whose name shall remain anonymous, but starts with D E L T A), there was no hope of getting there before Sunday morning. Talk about taking wind out of your sails. The couple we were going with felt the same way. Fortunately, they were on a different flight, so they made it out there. We texted and shared pictures with each other all weekend, so I was there vicariously through them. A lesson we took away from this is, when there is this much money involved, book the same flights. You will either all not make it, or you will make it, but you can still be together.

Since we were packed we decided to change gears, book a hotel in Gatlinburg and still get out of town. It was cold, rainy, foggy, our fireplace didn't work, and the bed was somewhat uncomfortable.(Can you believe the hotel in Vegas was cheaper than the hotel in Gatlinburg?) And that was not all the story, but I won't bore you will the rest here.

My first reaction to a canceled flight was disbelief. There wasn't another plane? There wasn't two seats on any airline getting there anytime Friday night? Unbelievable! Once that sank in I saw it as a test of my faith. Since I only see part of the picture there had to be a reason we were not on our way to Las Vegas. After all, missing a flight to Vegas seemed trivial when seeing what was going on in Haiti was all over the TV. How could I be so selfish to cry about what I was going through? A missed flight? That was nothing.

So my question to ponder today is...did I need to be hit over the head that hard for my faith test today? But I always come back to the answer that I am only seeing part of the picture, so yes, I guess so. I always was a slower learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment