Thursday, January 28, 2010

Because God wants me to?


So why does it take so much to love someone? Because it makes me vulnerable? Why am I afraid of being vulnerable? Because I may be perceived as being "goofy" or "just a little off my rocker"? What is so bad about that?

I am really trying to be more friendly to strangers these days. One reason I started trying this because someone said "it says a lot about your character" about how you treat someone. I know I should have said something more profound like "because God wants me to do it", right? See there I go again, wanting to be perceived as being ok. At least this time I was more honest about my motives. But you know what happened? It was fun! Granted, I still have a LOT of work to do to get this right. Is that even a possibility? What am I "getting right"?

When I see a much older person than I (and that takes a lot of doing!) I almost always wonder what their story is. What did they do in their prime of life? What have been their greatest gains and losses. I am sure they would be glad to tell me, I just never ask.

I recently sat down and listened to my grandma's (who will turn 100 in May) story. And all I can say is....WOW what an amazing story. I heard things I would never have known if I hadn't taken that time. (Ask me about 'snicken' someday, hey that might a good blog post in itself.)

My question to ponder today is, what am I waiting for? God, you have a lot of work to do, so let's get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment