Monday, April 12, 2010

Flying is still surreal


I am not sure if a non-stop flight to Las Vegas is really the best way to go. (Ok, I know what you are thinking right now, "Is she crazy? Of course it is! Did she lose her mind on the way our there? Will she return to sanity soon? Oh poor Ed!")

Consider, if you will: you could be stuck in a middle seat for 4.5 hours essentially unable to move; compound that with leaving the only book you brought in your luggage that was thrown in the overhead (oh dopey me!); now add to that there is no food offered (that is if you don’t count one gram of peanuts); additionally you seem to be allowed only two ounces of any drink at a time; and don’t forget how comfortable it is trying to sleep in an upright position.

Have you ever just closed your eyes on an airplane and really listened to the environment around you? I think it is a very surreal sound. Everything sounds muffled, but then you hear a word or two. Even as close as the people are behind you I can’t hear their conversations (not saying I really want to). I just find it all a surreal experience.

Having said all that: it is, after all, only a 4.5 hour flight and you are at your destination. Then there is things to consider like: no un-boarding; running to another gate; re-boarding; hoping your luggage either beats you there, or at least catches up with you; and that you all make the same flight; worrying whether your connecting flight is even there! Or worse yet, getting stuck for hours on end in an airport you do not want to be in, again hoping your luggage made the same flight you did.

So the question to ponder is; which option is really better? My jury is still out on that answer, I have another chance to evaluate my quandary next Sunday. I just thank God he saw it fit to have us arrive safely.

Another question….why does Southwest Airlines call their planes “Love Jets”? (Actually, I'm not really sure I want to know the answer to that one!) And what happened to "service"? Oh yea, it's now called "free luggage check in."

No comments:

Post a Comment