Monday, January 10, 2011

Grandma is gone

This is how I will remember my grandma, going for a walk with her little dog. At her memorial last Saturday I got really brave and decided I wanted to tell some stories. My three siblngs also decided they wanted to speak and we were all there for each other. This was I had written.

My name is Vicki. I am the oldest grandchild. I am sure if grandma had her way she would tell me that I really should get up here and say something. Grandma was big on ceremony and recognition, and would be proud of the turnout here to honor her today.
I can’t speak for anyone except myself, so here is my side of the story.

Let me start by saying she had a major influence on my life. One thing I remember as a very young child, was going to her house on every Christmas Eve, it was our family tradition. There was always a big turkey dinner with all the trimmings, and of course, presents. It was the biggest occasion of the year for us.

I remember one time, on the way home one time dad telling us kids not to look in the sky for fear we would see Santa. And everyone knows if you see Santa he won’t visit you. Of course I looked and looked for him. I never did see him and he did visit us that night. So it must be true, right?

Another memory is that one of us four kids always spent the weekend at her house. We rotated turns. One big draw for me was that she would give me coffee in the morning, our parents never would do that. Bobby, Mark and Angie, did she do that for you too? Never mind that is was half coffee and half milk, probably loaded with sugar. I was drinking coffee!

As I got older, about 15 years old or so, I would spend Friday night at her place, sleep with the orange juice cans in my hair, and I would go to work with her Saturday morning. That was my first job, I worked from 8:00am to 1:00pm, and I got a check for $7.50. You can see how impressed I was with my new position in life. She taught me how to use an adding machine, balance the cash register, count the money in nice, neat stacks, fill out the bank deposit slip and then we would take the money to the bank. She was very instrumental in helping me securing my first full time job after graduation from high school. Life was much simpler then. I learned professionalism and work ethics under her tutelage.

As more years passed and she moved to Tennessee our family tradition changed from the big Christmas dinner to the big Thanksgiving dinner. My whole family, and I would drive down to Paris on Thanksgiving day then we would have that big dinner that Friday. The turkey was still there and the homemade pies. We slept on the floor in sleeping bags and where ever there was space. And there wasn’t much space because she had a very tiny two bedroom house. I truly believe those were the happiest days of her life.

When she moved to Emerald Isle that was also a big treat for the family. Heck yea, we could visit the ocean whenever we wanted! I never missed a year coming down to see her, sometimes more than once. There are a lot of memories here also. But I feel you are probably done hearing about my memories of her.

Needless to say, she has had a profound effect on many lives, not just mine. Everyone in this room has been touched by her, or you wouldn’t be here. She is leaving behind so many people who love her. My dad who watched over her until the end, and Terry who faithfully kept in touch calling her every Sunday, even when he couldn’t visit. She has left her best friend, Bernice, who knows what stories she could tell! Will, who truly loved her. Also grandkids, great, great-great, grandkids who all loved her. There were also lots of in-laws, steps, ex’s and friends. The list goes on. Yes, grandma let our family experience five generations with a centurion! Not many families can claim that one!

So I end, yes finally, just saying that she will not be forgotten and her wonderful love and legacy will live on. Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment