Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Comparisons

Last weekend I traveled and spent 24/4 with family, this weekend I traveled and spent 24/4 with friends that I have known for many years (aka our small group). The differences were phenomenal between the two experiences. This is not to say everyone was this way every moment of the time, and this was just MY take on the situations, others in each party may have their own interruption.

Some of the things I noticed were: family was on edge and snippy; friends were respectful, and accommodating.

Filters that could enter into this equation include: family was too close to each other (we were sharing a huge house), and it was an emotionally charged (we were going to my grandma’s funeral); in the friends scenario each had own space/room (a retreat to without interruption), and there were no kids in the mix.

Another scenario that was proposed is the one about you can’t lose your family, so you are more honest and open about feelings (is that a possible cause behind snippiness? - which isn't even a real word!). I am sure that in both cases if push came to shove, we would be there and fully support each other without hesitation for whatever the situation called for.

While I can’t explain why, I am just observing the differences between MY experiences on these back to back weekends, and it leaves me somewhat puzzled. Is it Christianity in the works, or family ties, or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment