Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Kinda makes me sad


Sometimes I think my Shelby isn’t happy with my decision to get her a buddy. I think Bubba was enough buddy for her. I could never part with Gracie now, but I can’t help but wonder if I did the right thing.

Don’t get me wrong, they don’t fight (they are both too laid back for that). And they have their moments of chasing each other in the yard (although sometimes it looks like Shelby is trying to chase Gracie off). The last couple of days Shelby is doing things that she has never done before (like pooping in the house). Is this a form of acting out, like kids do? I just am not sure my little Shelby-girl is happy, and that makes me sad. I know it takes time, but Gracie has been with us for almost six months. How long should this take?

I remember it took me quite a while to really let Shelby into my heart after Jas. Then she became my priority (speaking in pet terms only). Gracie is starting to get in there now too, she is so sweet. I have come to the conclusion that she does not have an aggressive hair on her. Not sure what any of that has to do with this story.

I just wonder/worry about my Shelby-girl.

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to know what the right thing to do is. You had good intentions with getting Gracie for a buddy for Shelby (and Shelby probably knows that).
    It could be some sort of acting out (I got your attention now, didn't I?). There's also a possibility it could be health related. Any changes in food recently, or human food? Shelby's still pretty young, isn't she?
    Do you take them out for individual walks (for one-on-one time)?
    Maybe the Dog Whisperer website has some articles or thoughts on this type of behavior. Peace, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insights! I think she is acting out. Bluew used to do that. He would poop on the bed when he wanted your attention. It can be very frustrating. I agree with Kim that your intentions were good and the individual walks sounds like a great gesture.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete