Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A second dog?


The question to ponder today is…should we get a second dog? Shelby is the best dog ever! So why another?

Let me explain some reasoning behind this question. We are not the most active people, and Shelby is only about 3 years old. Although she is a mix, she has a lot of Australian Shepherd in her. I have heard that Aussie’s need a job, Shelby doesn’t have much of a job. She needs to run and play and be a whole lot more active than what we are providing.

One big thing I fear is that we may be making her too old too early. Although we are content to be working on a computer, or reading a book, I fear Shelby is not. She never complains, mind you. She will just lie down next to one of us and be the best dog ever.

I had hoped that Bubba would be a playmate, since they are about the same age, and they do play. Actually, it is extremely fun to watch the interaction between them.
Our next door neighbor has two dogs, they have had two dogs all the time I’ve known them. They play together so nice and expend so much energy and are fun to watch. Some friends of ours just got a second dog, and they said it has been great for the older first dog.

Now the CONS…more money in dog food, harder time to find someone to watch two of them if we go on a vacation and can’t bring them, or going in vacation with them and being welcomed.

We are thinking of another dog that would be her age, and size, you know a true “buddy” for her. I did want a lover dog when we got her, and she is very much that (in fact, she is borderline jealous of any attention paid to Bubba). She is beautiful and I love her, but she deserves better. So should I or shouldn’t I, that is the question…

No comments:

Post a Comment