Sunday, May 2, 2010

Happy 100th birthday, grandma! And to 5 living generations!


We made the more than 12 hour drive to North Carolina to spend a day celebrating grandma's 100th birthday. It will be a great event. Then the 12+ hour drive home on Monday.

After all, how many times does someone turn 100 years old? As if that isn't amazing enough, we have 5, count 'em, 5 generations living today! That is a most amazing feat, don't ya think.

It is a grueling trip, but grandma is so worth it. We the same thing when she turned 90.

So how does it feel to be 100? Obviously I don't know, and I am not sure I want to know. Grandma seems so lonely. It is hard to hear and see. She feels as though she is just existing in life. She has no friends or siblings her age to relate to. God talks so much about community, how does that happen without people your age to talk to? I hope my small group is still around 40 years from now

I am not sure of her relationship with our creator, but I am confident that when she is extended that last invitation that she will accept.

I do wonder if it is different for someone who truly loves Jesus and desperately wants to please him. I do know that I am not afraid to die, in some ways I am actually looking forward to it. Maybe I am curious as to what things really look like at that point, what will it be like to be totally pain free, care free, (and maybe be rid of this body??) and mostly just be in the awesome presence of the one who created me. It is something I can't even imagine at this point in my life. (although I like the part of not having this body!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment