Sunday, May 2, 2010

Birthday party is over


Well it's over. The big 100th birthday party is over. I have to say I have never attended a 100th birthday party before. It was a grand event certainly befitting a woman of her age. There was lots of food, huge cake, tons of pictures, family came in from out of town lots of miles away, and then there were all the things that come with family gatherings.

I am not sure she really knew what all was happening. It reminded me having a birthday party for a one year old. The person of honor doesn't really understand what is going on, but the family insists on making it happen anyway. Makes you wonder who the party was really for. But what else do you do to honor such an occasion?

The big question to ponder is...what kind of a gift do you buy for someone who is turning 100? She doesn't need anything, she doesn't want anything, she is trying to downsize and is giving everything away, you can't buy frivolous for her, ummmmm.

It all makes me sad on multiple levels though.

Level 1 was grandma - I am sure she is embarrassed because she does not know what is going on, she is not sure what is expected of her, even if she could do it. And probably feeling very alone among all the people who were there. All this from a woman who was a social butterfly in her day. She always knew what to do in any situation (even what utensil to use when). I learned so much about how to handle myself from her, especially in a business environment. But that is another story.

Today, she had to endure, what I am sure she would have considered, an almost humiliation. There were a million of pictures to be taken. She sat in one spot, and someone sat next to her, everyone starts yelling at her to look at the camera and smile, and, what must have seemed like a hundred, pictures were taken of her. Then they got up and someone else sat down, and it started all over again. She seemed so confused, and I felt kind of sorry for her.

Level 2 - I like seeing my family and didn't get to spend the amount or kind of time I would like to with them. Obviously that means especially grandma too.

Level 3 - I am here at the beach, but can't spend time enjoying it. The weather was perfect. Spent an hour here, and it was just not enough.

Level 4 - I feel like I might be seeing my future. Lord, I pray you bring me home long before I get that age. I think one of the hardest things in life is the feeling of aloneness (yea, I made that word up. it's mine)

Happy birthday grandma, you are remarkable and beautiful, and I love you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment