Friday, July 2, 2010

From Jas to Shelby to Gracie


Jas was the best dog in the world. She was my ‘perfect’ dog. When she died and we got Shelby, it took a long time to love her even half as much. But time marched on and now she is my ‘perfect’ dog.

Now I love her so much I didn’t want her to grow old before her time and thought she needed a buddy to keep her company during the day and to keep her more active than I had been doing (as confessed in previous blogs about her).

Enter Gracie. We have only had her for about two months, and I am sure I am in the same spot I was with Shelby at this time. I feel so protective of Shelby. Gracie just wants to play when they are outside, and there are times when Shelby just wants to poop in peace. Gracie will run up and nip at her leg or neck to get her to play. Sometimes I think Gracie to too rough for my mild mannered ‘perfect’ Shelby, who turns the other cheek every time to Gracie. I still see so much ‘puppy’ in Gracie, as I should, she is still young. I think she probably never really got to play much as a puppy and now she is feeling freer to do so than she probably ever has.

I am sure I will grow to love Gracie as much, but now isn’t that time. She is awful cute and she can look at you a certain way that would melt any heart, especially a dog lover’s heart. We just need more time together.

There seems to be a pattern here. Is this how it is done? How is it that these creatures of God's can get so deep into your heart? I could expound on their differences and their similarities, but suffice to say that they, for the most part, get along great. I think Gracie and I are just in for a time of adjustment. Once that time has passed, will I be able to handle two ‘perfect’ dogs, at the same time?

No comments:

Post a Comment